Chicken and Gnocchi Soup (with broccoli, pesto and stilton cheese)
When I posted this on my fb food page last night, some woman I don’t even know commented that the soup “looked yucky!” – So, I would like to thank her for assisting me in naming this post but I would also like for her to categorically go and drop on her head somewhere – Oh! I’m being unusually polite! – she should just piss off – get off my food page and although I understand that you can’t fix stupid, surely she could do something about her severe case of butt ugly!!!
Anyhoo…some things don’t photograph well (like this woman) -I mean, like this soup – but taste amazing (unlike this woman) – I mean, like this soup. This soup was greenish in colour due to the broccoli and pesto and tasted amazing – very creamy and rich and certainly not for those wishing to lose any weight in a hurry. It was incredibly filling and I’m really happy with how it turned out.
I have been making a few different types of soup lately and had it stuck in my head that I wanted a soup with gnocchi in it. I googled a few and wasn’t quite happy with any one particular recipe so I combined a few and made the rest up as I went along. Certainly different and my family lapped it up – loved it!
So here’s my yucky looking soup – actually the photo makes the soup look greener than it actually was but anyhow I don’t care – really impressed with myself here – so faaaaarrrrrkkkkk you ugly lady…
- skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1/3 cup butter, divided
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 – 3 garlic cloves, finely sliced
- 1/3 cup plain flour
- 3-1/2 cups milk
- 1-1/2 cups thickened cream
- 1 tablespoon vegetable stock granules, like vegeta.
- 1/4 teaspoon coarsely ground pepper
- 1 packet gnocchi (or you could make your own but I didn’t)
- 1 bunch broccolini
- 2 teaspoons pesto (home made is better but you could use a good quality bought one)
- as much or as little Stilton Cheese as you like
- In a saucepan, brown chicken in 2 tablespoons butter. Remove and keep warm. In the same pan, saute the onion, and garlic in remaining butter until tender.
- Whisk in flour until blended; gradually stir in the milk, cream, stock granules and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Add cheese.
- Meanwhile cook gnocchi in another pot and add to the creamy soup. Cut broccolini into small pieces and steam (the stem and shred the head, if that makes sense – I wanted flecks of broccolini not chunks); and then add to the soup along with the pesto. Add the chicken. Cover and simmer for 10 minutes or until heated through (do not boil).
- Maybe it was the buttered bread I kept dunking into this that made me so full…OMG – It was good!!!